I know, I know, we just spent a lot of time talking about how happiness is a moving target, but the truth is there are ways to improve your overall state of contentment, joy, and yes even happiness in your everyday life. Sometimes big changes are necessary. If something in your life is causing anxiety, grief, or excessive stress, it is important to explore ways to change it. However, there are scientifically proven ways you can turn being down or unhappy into more positive moments.
- Just 7 minutes of exercise, particularly walking outside, has been shown to release endorphins and boost mood.
- Drink water. Do you get the blues in the afternoon, along with feeling tired and glum? Drinking water has been proven to give you energy and make you feel happier.
- Concentrate on the moment. Future thinking is a source of unhappiness to a lot of us. So when you are experiencing something enjoyable, savor it. Planning for the future is important, but so is finding joy in the present.
- Be generous. People who volunteer report feeling happier. Find a cause you believe in and dedicate some time to it.
- Practice gratitude. It comes up in almost every newsletter, but focusing on what you’re grateful for in life has been proven to increase contentment.
Need help finding the right person to talk with? We are here and ready to help.
We accept many major insurances and have 3 lowcountry locations for your convenience.